Centura Health has more experts in more places throughout the region. Start your health journey by finding the right one for you.
St. Catherine Hospital’s origin can be traced back to 1902 when a two-room clinic above a clothing store on Main Street served as Garden City’s only hospital.
In 1916, Dr. Charles Rewerts converted a rooming house into a 24-bed hospital, serving a vast territory in those pioneer days. Joined by Dr. O.W. Miner in 1929, they built Garden City’ first 45-bed modern hospital. The Dominican Sisters purchased the hospital in 1931 and re-named it St. Catherine Hospital after Saint Catherine of Siena, who lived in the 14th century and ministered to the sick of Siena, Italy.
“Eighty-five years ago, the Dominican Sisters established St. Catherine Hospital,” said CEO and President Scott Taylor. “Their covenant of caring continues to this day as the largest hospital in western Kansas, extending the healing ministry of Christ to all the communities we serve.”
The Dominican Sisters brought St. Catherine Hospital through many difficult times. Frequently, they took all available revenues and used the funds to provide newer, needed services to make the community healthier. At times, they were forced to stretch each dollar to its limit. To these wise and compassionate Sisters, this was the spirit of St. Catherine Hospital.
Beginning in the 1940’s, additions were made to the hospital every 10 years including: the 2005 purchase of Garden Medical Clinic, renamed Siena Medical Clinic, which houses the largest number of primary and specialty physicians in southwest Kansas; the 2008 purchase of the Women’s Clinic and opening of the Heart Center; the 2011 completion of 64 new state-of-the-art medical and surgical patient rooms; the addition of digital mammography machines in 2013; the opening in 2014 of the Emergency Department Fast Track, which is designed to provide care for less-critical emergencies; and the opening of the Convenient Care Clinic in 2016.
One of the hospital’s most notable additions was the cancer center, added in 1997 and then expanded in 2016 — nearly doubling the original facility’s size. The Heartland Cancer Center opened its doors in April and features state-of-the art cancer treatment technology and offers the latest in chemotherapy and radiation therapy to improve tumor control, reduce side effects due to better organ visualization, and enhance treatment techniques for optimal outcomes.
Garden City and Finney County have experienced substantial business growth during the last thirty years. St. Catherine Hospital has helped and also benefited from this growth. As business prospered in the area, so did the hospital all while maintaining a dynamic and highly skilled health caree nvironment.
“Twelve years ago when I came here, we had a medical staff right at 30, and now we have well over 60 providers,” Taylor said. “We’ve grown in every way, and the future is still bright in the ministry at St. Catherine.” More than half of St. Catherine Hospital’s patients come from outside of Finney County, Taylor said, and the hospital continues to grow, he added. Now, as we move into the 21st Century, it is even more important for St. Catherine Hospital to reinforce the legacy that the Sisters began in 1931.
A person learns a great deal about other people by discovering their origins, their beliefs and their priorities. The same is true for organizations.
St. Catherine Hospital shares a rich, historical heritage with Garden City, Finney County and the rest of southwest Kansas. Just like many families and businesses in our community, St. Catherine Hospital’s roots run deep.
St. Catherine Hospital can trace its earliest beginnings to 1902 when a two-room clinic above a clothing store on Main Street served as the hospital in Garden City.
Today, St. Catherine Hospital is licensed for 102 beds and is a Joint Commission accredited regional community hospital and is part of Centura Health, the regions health care leader, focused on connecting Kansas and Colorado to world-class care.
The Dominican Sisters brought St. Catherine Hospital through many difficult times. Frequently they took all available revenues and used the funds to provide newer, needed services to make the community healthier. At times, the Sisters were forced to stretch each dollar to its limit. To these wise and compassionate Sisters, this was the spirit of St. Catherine Hospital.
Now, as we move into the 21st Century, it is even more important for St. Catherine Hospital to reinforce the legacy that the Sisters began in 1931. Realizing the enormity of the mission, today’s health professionals have a firm belief in the continuation of this legacy.
Our search tools require a zip code to match the location nearest you.